Savory MELT Salmon Cakes
These tempting Salmon Cakes are an excellent way to use leftover salmon. Even better, you can make a large batch of salmon cakes, freeze the patties, and sauté them straight out of the freezer when you are looking for a fast, filling, nutritious meal. These salmon cakes are easy to “finish” with a generous dollop of MELT. This recipe is adapted from Ina Garten and makes approximately 5 servings (10 salmon cakes).
½ pound fresh salmon
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons MELT Organic
4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
¾ cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
1 ½ cups small-diced celery (4 stalks)
½ cup small-diced red bell pepper (1 small pepper)
½ cup small-diced yellow bell pepper (1 small pepper)
¼ cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon capers, drained
¼ teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ teaspoons crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
3 slices stale bread, crusts removed (makes 1 C bread crumbs)
½ cup MELT Organic Mayonnaise (or other quality mayonnaise)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the salmon on a sheet pan, skin side down. Brush with 2 tablespoons of softened MELT and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until just cooked. Remove from the oven and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes and refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile, place 4 tablespoons of the MELT, onion, celery, red and yellow bell peppers, parsley, capers, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, crab boil seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat and cook until the vegetables are soft, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Break the bread slices in pieces and process the bread in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Place the bread crumbs on a sheet pan and toast in the oven for 5 minutes until lightly browned, tossing occasionally.
- Flake the chilled salmon into a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs. Add the vegetable mixture and mix well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Shape into 10 (2 ½ to 3-ounce) cakes.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. In batches, add the salmon cakes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until browned. Drain on paper towels; keep them warm in a preheated 250 degree F oven and serve hot with a dollop of MELT on each salmon cake.