Gluten-Free Orange Cake
Easy to make, this simply delicious gluten- and dairy-free orange cake will win hearts at any holiday dinner or as a special breakfast treat. A slice of this cake is particularly satisfying with a glass of organic whole milk. This recipe is adapted from Nigella Lawson’s Clementine Cake recipe. Serves 6 to 8.
1 lb organic oranges (about 2 oranges)
¼ cup Honey MELT®, softened
1¼ cup sugar
2 1/3 cups almond meal
1 generous teaspoon baking powder
- Place the oranges in a pot of cold water, cover, and bring to boil. Cook for 2 hours or until the oranges are soft. Drain, and allow the oranges to cool completely.
- When cool, cut the oranges in half and remove any seeds. Cut the oranges into quarters and finely chop/ blend the whole orange – peel, pith, fruit and all – in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 9-inch springform pan or line with parchment paper.
- Beat the eggs with a hand blender.
- Stir in by hand the sugar, Honey MELT, almond meal, and baking powder until thoroughly mixed together.
- Add the chopped/ processed oranges and mix well by hand.
- Pour the cake mixture into the springform pan and bake for 1 hour or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Cover the cake with foil around 40 minutes into baking to prevent the top from burning.