Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake made with Honey MELT® is an easy favorite AND it’s made with HALF of the sugar.
Cake batter (per layer):
1¼ cups Honey MELT
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1½ cups carrots, grated
½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1½ cups gluten-free flour*
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
*Gluten-free flour mix is 4 cups brown rice flour, 1⅓ cups potato starch (NOT flour), ⅔ cup tapioca starch. Combine all ingredients in a large ziplock bag. Shake until well blended.
Icing (per layer):
¼ cup MELT® Organic, softened
8oz cream cheese
½ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a baking tin.
- Beat the Honey MELT® and sugar with a hand blender until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating in between. Beat until thick.
- Add the carrots and chopped walnuts and mix well by hand.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Blend the wet ingredients with the dry.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes then tip out onto a cooling rack.
For the icing
- Blend the MELT Organic, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla with a hand blender until creamy.
- Smooth the topping over the top of the cake when cold.
- For a multi-layered carrot cake, double or triple the recipe accordingly with icing between each layer and on top.