Bratwurst with Apples, Onion, and Sauerkraut
This easy entrée is perfect for a weekday supper or weekend meal with family and friends. Serve with a hearty Italian or Pumpernickel bread liberally slathered with Rich & Creamy Melt Organic buttery spread. Serves 6. Adapted from Jean Anderson’s recipe in Bon Appétit.
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups sauerkraut (preferably fresh), rinsed, drained, squeezed dry
1 large onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
3 large Golden Delicious apples (~1½ lbs total), peeled, cored, thinly sliced
6 whole smoked bratwurst (~1 lb), pierced all over with skewer or fork
4 bay leaves
1 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons dry vermouth
2 tablespoons ketchup
1½ tablespoons Melt® Organic, softened
- Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place caraway and fennel seeds in small resealable plastic bag. Crush seeds with mallet. Add flour and pepper to bag. Shake to blend.
- Spread sauerkraut over the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish; sprinkle one third of flour mixture over the sauerkraut.
- Arrange onion slices over the sauerkraut; sprinkle with half of remaining flour mixture and lightly add salt.
- Spread half of apple slices over the sauerkraut and onions; sprinkle with remaining flour mixture.
- Place the bratwurst over the apples; and arrange the remaining apple slices around the bratwurst.
- Tuck in the bay leaves.
- Mix broth, vermouth, and ketchup in a measuring cup; pour the broth mixture evenly over everything. Cover tightly with foil.
- Roast for 45 minutes. Uncover; brush with softened Melt Organic buttery spread.
- Continue roasting uncovered until the edges of apples and sausages begin to brown, about 25 minutes longer.