Almond Coconut Energy Bars
Looking for a healthy, filling after school snack? These gluten-free energy bars are lightly sweetened with Honey Melt that will keep your kids going until dinner is ready. This recipe is adapted from Riki Shore at Three Squares.
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups whole raw almonds
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2/3 cup Honey MELT® Organic
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- Soften Honey MELT in the microwave.
- Line a 9×9” baking pan with wax paper.
- Pulse almonds in food processor until they resemble coarse sand (a little coarser than almond meal).
- Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate to the food processor and pulse until it forms a textured paste (the bits of almond and coconut shouldn’t be too small).
- Pour into baking pan and smooth out to the corners. Refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate either in microwave on low power on in a double boiler. Drizzle over almond coconut base and spread with a spoon or rubber spatula until evenly coated. Place back in refrigerator for approximately 5 minutes, until chocolate is solid but still a little soft (for ease of cutting). Cut into bars and store in a plastic container in the fridge.